Easy option for filing an extension

Here are a few common reasons why you may need to push your filing deadline back:

• More time needed to track down missing tax documents
• Unexpected life event
• Life’s been too busy

If you find yourself unable to complete your 2017 federal tax return by the April deadline (April 17 in 2018 for filing 2017 taxes), you’ll first need to file an extension with the IRS to avoid any potential late-filing or late payment penalties. Filing an extension will allow you to push your deadline back six months to October 15, 2018.

Clergy Financial Resources now has an easy option to file your extension. Complete the request form below.  Once this information is submitted, we’ll file your extension and send you email confirmation when your tax extension is accepted

2017 Tax Return Extension Request


Need to pay taxes?

It’s important to keep in mind an extension only pushes back the due date for the filing of your tax documents. It does not give you extra time to pay any taxes you may owe. If you believe you will owe money this year, you’ll need to estimate the amount after filing for an extension and make a payment by the April deadline.

If you need to make a payment by credit card, you can use one of several IRS approved Electronic Payment Methods. You can pay with your credit card online or by phone. 

If you’d rather mail your extension directly to the IRS, simply complete and print the form, and send it to the IRS address for your state  – postmarked by April 17, 2018. IRS Form 4868: Application for Automatic Extension.